What is Reward Pass?
Reward Pass is a digital Mastercard prepaid card that allows users to redeem any award they receive as a virtual or physical Mastercard. This then be used to make a purchase wherever Mastercard is accepted, online or directly in a store, and in nearly every country across the world.
More details on where to spend Reward Pass
Reward Pass can be used to purchase, or lease goods or services everywhere Mastercard is accepted.
A virtual Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard can be spent online, or added to the mobile apps of the user's chosen retailers or restaurants for redemption in store.
If users wish to purchase fuel through Reward Pass, it must be paid for at the cash register. The Card cannot be used for a “Self Service” transaction at an automated fuel dispenser.
Reward Pass can not be used to obtain cash from an Automated Teller Machine (“ATM”), Point-of-Sale (“POS”) device, or by any other means.
There are minimum and maximum amounts users can add to their Reward Pass when they purchase it. These depend on the currency on the card.
|Minimum amounts||Maximum amounts|
More details about currencies
Reward Pass is available in nine different home currencies, including:
- US Dollar
- Canadian Dollar
- British Pound
- Australian Dollar
- Japanese Yen
- Chinese Renminbi
- Indian Rupee
Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard will be issued in the user's local currency, where this matches one of Reward Pass's home currencies (e.g. employees based in Canada will receive their cards in Canadian Dollars).
If the local currency in the employee's country does not match one of Reward Pass's home currencies, the card will be issued in the most relevant and common currency for that country. In most cases, this will be US Dollar or Euro (e.g. employees based in Argentina will receive their cards in US Dollars). Employees will be able to use Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard in their home country, for purchases in their local currency; however, in this cases there is a currency conversion fee of 1.45% of the transaction amount. This will be taken from the credit on the Reward Pass.
Reward Pass availability
As of 5 May 2020, Reward Pass can be issued in the following countries and currencies:
- Argentina (home currency: USD)
- Austria (home currency: EUR)
- Bangladesh (home currency: USD)
- Belgium (home currency: EUR)
- Brazil (home currency: USD)
- Canada (home currency: CAD)
- China (home currency: CNY)
- Please note that Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard is only available in virtual format in China
- The product name for China is Reward Pass Prepaid UnionPay
- Croatia (home currency: EUR)
- Cyprus (home currency: EUR)
- Czech Republic (home currency: EUR)
- Finland (home currency: EUR)
- France (home currency: EUR)
- Germany (home currency: EUR)
- Guatemala (home currency: USD)
- Hong Kong (home currency: USD)
- India (home currency: INR)
- Please note that Reward Pass is only available as a physical card in India. Users will only be able to receive cards once existing COVID-19 restrictions to deliveries are lifted
- The product name for India is Reward Pass Prepaid VISA
- Ireland (home currency: EUR)
- Italy (home currency: EUR)
- Kenya (home currency: USD)
- Luxembourg (home currency: EUR)
- Macao (home currency: USD)
- Malaysia (home currency: USD)
- Netherlands (home currency: EUR)
- Peru (home currency: USD)
- Philippines (home currency: USD)
- Portugal (home currency: EUR)
- Singapore (home currency: USD)
- South Africa (home currency: USD)
- United Arab Emirates (home currency: USD)
The redemption experience on the Reward Gateway platform is instant for all users (the exception to this is India, where only physical cards are allowed).
Redeeming an award through Reward Pass - user journey
Step 1: Users will be able to see their award balance in points and currency on their Account Settings page on the Reward Gateway platform.
A Use Balance link will direct them to a page listing all available redemption options for their country. If their award balance is 0, they will not be able to see this option.
Step 2: After selecting Use Balance, Reward Pass will appear in the list of available redemption options.
The terms and conditions for the purchase will be displayed, and the user will be able to enter the amount they wish to order, in the home currency associated to their country (in the example below, this is USD).
Step 3: Users check out on the Reward Gateway platform.
Step 4: The Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard is instantly recorded on the user's account on the Reward Gateway platform. A record of the order can be accessed immediately after completing checkout, or later on, by visiting the Account Settings page and selecting My Instant Vouchers on the left hand side menu.
The screens below do not provide direct access to the Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard. The user will be able to activate and access card details through a separate process outside the Reward Gateway platform.
Step 5: Users receive an order confirmation email from the Reward Gateway platform. At this point, their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard has been purchased but still needs to be activated.
Step 6: Once users redeem their reward points for a Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard on the Reward Gateway platform, they will receive an email from Reward Pass, with next steps and an activation token.
The token they will receive to set up their card will expire after 3 months, and their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard will expire 12 months from activation.
Refunds will be available up until the token has been redeemed or expired.
More details about Reward Pass expiry
- Users who choose to spend all or part of their award balance through Reward Pass will receive a token to activate their card, which they will need to redeem before making any purchases. The token will expire after 3-months.
- Once the token has been redeemed, each Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard will expire 12 months from activation. Cardholders will not be able to redeem any balance once the card expires.
- There is also a card maintenance fee for any cards that keep a balance beyond their twelve month expiry period. This continues until the card balance is 0. There is no maintenance fee for the twelve month expiry period of the card. Maintenance fees per currency are listed below:
Step 7: Users can click through the email from Reward Pass to set up their digital wallet, which will contain their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard. They can then log in at any time to access it for redemption or check their balance.
They will not be able to top up an existing Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard again, but they can add additional cards to the wallet should they purchase them in future.
If the order is above a certain threshold (depending on currency, see table below), users will also have the option to choose a physical Mastercard at this stage.
More details about physical Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercards
- Physical Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercards are delivered via first-class mail and can be used online and in-store, anywhere Mastercard is accepted (shipping and handling fees to be deducted from card balance, as per the table below).
|Minimum order amounts||Shipping and handling fees|
- For users based in India, physical cards will be shipped via courier. The estimated delivery time is up to 14 days.
- Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard can only be ordered in virtual format in China.
Step 8: Users can add their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard to their Digital Wallet on the Reward Pass website.
If they have already used Reward Pass, they can add it to their existing Digital Wallet. If this is their first purchase, they can create a new Digital Wallet, choosing a username and password for future access.
Step 9: Users who are creating a new Digital Wallet need to confirm their details and verify their email address.
Step 10: Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard details, including expiry date, balance and spend history, are available in the Digital Wallet, accessible through the username and passwords created at the previous step.
The Digital Wallet is hosted on a separate website, independent from the Reward Gateway platform.
Please note the following one-time fees for users who have a Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard:
- A one-time closure fee, charged if a check is issued to the user for any remaining balance, in the event they close their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard account.
- A one-time card-reissue fee, charged to users who request for their Reward Pass Prepaid Mastercard to be reissued.
Closure and reissue fees per currency are detailed below.
|One-time closure fee||One-time reissue fee|