Note: to use Segment Manager you must have one of the following roles:
- Segments Admin - Ability to manage all aspects of segment manager (create, edit, delete, and view)
- Segments Viewer - Ability to create and view segments in Segment Manager
Viewing existing segment
Navigate to Reward Manager, then click on Smart Products and choose Segment Manager from the dropdown. All existing segments will be listed, including the rules of the segment, how many members are included in each, and which content is currently using each segment.
To view the specific members in a segment, click on the number in the column to be taken to a member management page, filtering for only those in the segment. To view the specific content being used by a segment, click on the number in the column to see the title and area of the site using the segment.
If you want to make changes to or delete an existing segment, click on edit and the rules will appear allowing you to make changes. For segments that are already being used with content in the site, you can edit the name or make changes to the rules but you cannot delete the segment. Segments can only be deleted if the segment has been removed from any content currently using it.
Creating a new segment
Click on the blue "Create new segment" button to add a new segment. First, add a title for the segment, then click "add rule" to start specifying who you want included in the segment. Rules are used to specify which circumstances you'd like someone to be added to a segment.
Field indicates which type of user data you will be using to determine if someone is included in a segment (ex. Department, Location, etc.). The rule specifies which condition you will be using, and value indicates which value the field column must have in order to be included in the segment. For example, if you want everyone in the department called "Marketing", you would choose "Department" as the field, "is" as the rule" and type in the name of the marketing department in the value box.
Below is an example of how each option can be used:
You can add multiple rules to a segment, but be sure to specify if you want a user to match all rules or any rules to be included in the segment.
In some situations, you may want to create a segment with more complex rules. Click on Group to view extra options for grouping rules together. Grouping rules works similarly to the "is in the list" condition and allows you to specify more conditions for a specific segment.
For example, if you want to include everyone in the UK location that is part of Marketing, Sales, or Client Success in the company, you could specify the location to be "UK" and then add a rule group to specify the names of each department that should be included.
- Create segments based off of data included in your member file or registration questions. A great starting point with a segment is to create one based on data that is already provided, such as department, location, etc.
- Don't add members individually. Avoid creating a segment by adding a list of user emails or IDs as this can slow down areas of the site you're segmenting as the site has to sort through each person individually to determine if they should have access.
- Make sure you do not use the preview link of a SmartHub layout when linking to it from another tile, as this results in the first layout version being shown for all members, regardless of their segment.