In certain circumstances, employers may need to pause or reduce salary sacrifice or net payroll deductions for some employees on their payroll for a period of time. This may be due to an employee's reduced working hours for a certain period, or because of specific life events like parental or unpaid leave.
Within SmartPay™, administrators can:
- Check deductions history, including deduction amount and date per each employee’s order
- Check the outstanding deduction amount and installments due, and update these in case they’re not aligned with payroll
- Pause deductions for net/gross or all current deductions and have them automatically resumed at a certain date or manually resume whenever needed.
These capabilities in SmartPay™ mean clients can remain aligned with any payroll changes, and ensure the automated deduction reporting can remain accurate and reliable.
Synchronising SmartPay™ with payroll
The client's payroll is replicated in SmartPay™ so that employees' due and outstanding deductions and repayment periods can be tracked easily by payroll teams. Reward Gateway issues the client with a Deduction Report at each payroll period so that payroll teams can easily export and process due deductions.
It's important that the SmartPay system knows when someone's deductions have been put on hold or extended so that it will be automatically reflected in the deduction report and is fully aligned with your payroll system.
This alignment can also help us refresh employees' spending balance on time when they have completed their repayments.
Updating repayment periods or outstanding amounts
As a first step, double-check the deduction history for the employee and their order in SmartPay™ and that the outstanding amount/deductions match with payroll. Clients can track the dates for the deduction reports that it was included in, along with the outstanding amount and deductions period as at that date.
To access this, follow these steps in Reward Manager:
- Navigate to SmartPay™
- Go to 'Applications' section on top
- Search for the employee
- Click on "View Details" link and expand the order you need to update
- Click on "Manage Deductions" link
- You can update both the outstanding amount to be deducted as well as the outstanding repayment period
Pausing deductions for an employee
If an employee's salary is reduced or stopped for any reason, clients can pause their salary sacrifice or net payroll deductions and resume them again once the employee's normal salary is re-instated.
To do this, follow these steps in Reward Manager:
- Go to "Payrolls" section in SmartPay
- Click on "View Payroll Data"
- Search for the employee
- Scroll to the right and click on "Edit"
- Navigate to Pause deductions option
- Switch on the toggle to pause deductions
- You can choose whether to pause deductions for net, gross salary or all products
- Optionally you can choose a start and an end date for the 'deduction pause'
- If you choose an end date, the system will resume deductions with the first deduction report following the end date. If no end date is specified, deductions will remain paused until manually resumed from here again.